Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Raped Afghan Woman Gets Choice of 12 Years In Jail or Marry Her Rapist

Imagine getting raped and then being forced to make a decision between two equally horrendous choices:

A. marry your rapist or
B. 12 years in jail.

This is what a young Afghan woman, Gulnaz, faces after her cousin's husband allegedly violated her 2 years ago at the age of 19. Convicted of adultery, courtesy of Islamic Afghan law, she still could face being killed by family members who feel they have been dishonored.  The rapist, who denies he raped her, is also in jail, admits as much. But according to him, it won't be his family who will kill her, it will be her family.  

Gulnaz says of the rape,

He had filthy clothes on as he does metal and construction work,’ she told CNN in an exclusive interview.

‘He closed doors and windows. I started screaming, but he shut me up by putting his hands on my mouth,’ she said.

Faced with having to spend 12 years in jail, along with the child she gave birth to as a result of the rape, she has said she is willing to marry her rapist.

I was asked if I wanted to start a new life by getting released, by marrying this man’.

She added: ‘My daughter is a little innocent child. Who knew I would have a child in this way. A lot of people told me that after your daughter's born give it to someone else, but my aunt told me to keep her as proof of my innocence.

I'm sure there are those who might be skeptical about the rape allegations, but even if it was consensual (which I doubt) 12 years for adultery?

Only in Islam is the female victim re-victimized.



Source: Dailymail

No comments: